Friday, February 7, 2014

My LGBT post

I wanted to make a post specifically on my views of the LGBT community, and show my support.

I am writing this for anyone who wants to read it. If you come across this feel free to comment. I warn you now: IF THERE IS ANYTHING THAT IS WRITTEN IN THE COMMENTS THAT I VIEW AS UNNECESSARY, HURTFUL OR OTHERWISE TO THE LGBT COMMUNITY, I WILL DELETE THE COMMENT(S).  I protect the rights of the people who are a member of the LGBT community and will defend them with my life.  I, myself, am a straight man.  Although, I'm sure some of you are asking why do I feel I should express that, would I be ashamed if I was gay? No, I want to clarify that these views and opinions are from someone outside of the community.

There is an old song by an indie rock/progressive rock group called Depeche Mode called "People are People" which expresses my views very well.

"People are people,
so why should it be,
that you and I
should get along so awfully?"

I support the right of expression, the right to be a human being, the right to love whomever you choose.  I feel saddened when I see on the news that kids and even adults are committing suicide due to their sexual orientation.  They're being bullied, they're being harassed, some are being disowned by their parents, by their family, their friends.  It sickens me, I wondered why people would do that to one another.  I had gotten into an argument with my ex-wife over a topic I had asked her.  I knew she had one gay friend.  I asked her how she would react if our son was gay.  She immediately said, I couldn't deal with it.  I flew off the handle.  He is our son, if he was born, loving men, how does that change the fact that he is my son? I feel that way when I hear of kids, teens, adults being abandoned by their loved ones.  Just because they decided to come out of the closet.  Called sinners.

I had recently asked my teenage daughter, if we could talk about a subject that was close to my heart.  I asked her how she felt about gay/lesbian marriage?  She shrugged her shoulders and said "It's fine by me." I smiled.  I asked her how she felt about gay/lesbian couples adopting babies or kids? Again, she shrugged her shoulders but replied, "Who am I to deny them their happiness?" I have to say I became extremely proud of her.  I have felt the same way, my whole life. I have friends who are gay, I am proud to call them my brothers, I have friends who are lesbians, again, I am proud to call them my sisters, I have friends who are bi-sexual (by their definitions) I am proud to call them members of my family.  I also have friends who are Transgender, I will always be PROUD to call them ALL a member of my family.

I won't lie and say I'm not curious.  I have a few questions for the LGBT community.  I have been tempted to ask my friends these questions but I can't bring myself to do so.  I fear it is disrespectful and view it as I would a racist joke.  "If I can't say a particular black joke around a black friend/family member, maybe I shouldn't say it at all."   I feel that if I can't ask a straight person the same question without violating their right to privacy, without feeling like I'm exploiting their sexual orientation, why should it be okay to do so to my friends in the LGBT community?

To those of you who are still discovering yourselves.  I offer this one thought and one advice to you.  I want you to know that out there, somewhere is someone who will fight for you. Someone who will die for you.  Someone who will listen to you, talk to you, give you a shoulder to lean on. If you need someone to talk to, to get you through your tough times, I will personally research the local LGBT community for you and help you get the information you need.  If you're being bullied, don't let them get to you.  It's hard, I know. but, it willl  be better.

I'm hoping that one day I will have a post that will have phone numbers, websites, emails and such for people who need information about bullying, LGBT, and more.

The Wicked Wiccan Signing out

No comments:

Post a Comment